Monday 1 June 2015

Week 10 Day 1 - 2hrs 1140 Reps & One Stupidly Pumped Up Leg Session

01/06/15 Day 63 – Legs & Calves

Here I am! Week 10 of this 12 week muscle builder, coming into the last couple of sessions on each body component. With such little time left and such a great demand on results every single rep counts at this point and boy are there a lot of reps! Working with the DTP style of training once again, all about volume, all about size and it's certainly all about will power. I find that with such high rep ranges as the ones you will see today its 80% mental ability to concentrate and 20% of actual physical ability. Remember that your brain doesn't know how many plates you have on the bar, it only knows you are working against resistance, so follow in my foot steps and leave your ego at the door and get ready to get pumped up!

Box Squats – 12 Sets, 1x30,25,20,15,10,5,5,10,15,20,25,30
Leg Extension – 3 Sets x 50 Reps
Hack Squat - 12 Sets, 1x30,25,20,15,10,5,5,10,15,20,25,30
Lying Leg Curl – 3 Sets x 50 Reps
Cable Stiff Leg Deadlift – 12 Sets, 1x30,25,20,15,10,5,5,10,15,20,25,30
Single Leg Calf Press – 12 Sets, 1x30,25,20,15,10,5,5,10,15,20,25,30

Cardio – Interval Training 15mins Total

Needless to say a whopping great warm up was the only way to start off this Goliath of a training session, loosening up every joint, warming up all the muscles till they radiated heat. With my pre workout tingling my skin, the itches telling me it was time to start, so I plugged my ear phones in with the music blaring and the smell of sweat in the air and got ready to climb the mountain of a session ahead.

Box Squats were the first task at hand. Being so tall depth can sometimes be an issue for me when it comes around to squatting, I have never been a massive fan due to this, not to mention the torn ligaments in my right knee, but I pushed all that aside as this had to be done and I am not one to back down from a fight. With the lower back burning away, the quads filling with blood and my breath escaping me I soon realised that this wasn't going to get any easier (just the way I like it). Making it to the half way point seemed like an eternity had passed, but now it was time for a the Dtp drop set, hitting every rep I had previously done in reverse order with no rest apart from the time stripping the bar. Well bugger me that has to be one of the hardest sets of squats I have ever done! With basically nothing on the bar for the final two rounds I still felt like I was holding the world on my shoulders, the legs were stiff and the sweat was tickling down my skin, by the end all that was left of me was the pool around my feet.

With the squats all done and dusted (thankfully) I moved on to the Leg Extensions, here the idea was to continue the the stimulation of the quadriceps and allow even more naturally occurring human growth hormone to be flooded into the system. Trying battle against the machine with less weight then I had previously used even seemed like a bridge too far, I fought and fought until my mind surrendered, I dropped a plate off and honed in on the final set with all my might, making sure every rep was a tight as the last. I couldn't believe the struggle, I had never felt this beaten before, but then I realised that each week I have to try to better myself and this was just another test, of course its harder, that is how I will become the best, because I have no limits, only what is in my mind!

Moving on to the Hack Squat my only thought was that this was the last exercise for my quads, this was a land mark in the session and it was my job to push through it. Starting off light I wanted to drill good technique into my cranium, just trying to take my thoughts away from the rattling of my legs. Each set it got harder, the legs trembled more and I reached to my phone to turn up the music, anything to take away my focus from the burn, but alas the volume was all the way up, it was blaring and I didn't even realise over the screams of my quadriceps. It isn't meant to be easy I had to keep reminding myself, working like this will make me a champion and with that set in my sight I drove through to the end of the exercise. Thank Christ.

With my quadriceps completely cooked it was fitting that now I could move on to the hamstring section of the work out, starting with Lying Leg Curls. Here the emphasis was on high reps and low sets once again, trying to push myself to failure before I had even started, it seems all I know in the gym these days is failure but if that is what it takes then I am not one to argue. Between each set I sprang off the machine and stretching the burn out of the muscles, cursing under my breath it seemed like I couldn't stop myself. Hopping to and fro until I was finished, well only two exercises left. I knew I could do it, but it seemed like this session was never going to end!

The Cable Stiff Leg Deadlifts were a new one for me today and I must say I really enjoyed them, I have a tendency to lose the contraction in my left hamstring at some points usually, but due to the flexibility of this exercise I could tweak my movement to maintain an insane contraction that would later come back to haunt me. Working down the ladder to only crawl back up was a real chore, but I wasn't going to quit this close to the end and that is why I am barely able to walk now. But I LOVE IT!

I had done it, the final exercise was here and I managed to end the session on a real high. The Single Leg Calf Press was all about working each calf individually without rest, after one side was done it was on to the other straight away, with as little rest as possible. I pushed and pushed and pushed, with 2 sets left between me leaving all I could think about was my post workout shake. After draining my calcium deposit through the workout it was almost impossible to squeeze a good contraction out of my calves any more, feeling knackered I allowed some momentum to influence my final set. I was finished, the hard work had been completed.

Wanting to nap right now, but being 1pm its not really an acceptable time, plus my meal prep won't do itself!

To make a change to your body and your life, get in contact with me now at: mgonlinept@gmail.com for your bespoke gym plans and nutritional programmes!

Change your future today.

Happy Lifting,


Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment