Tuesday 31 March 2015

Week 1 Day 2- Sore, But Hungry For More!

31/03/15 Day 2- Chest & Triceps

First of all, damn my legs are sore! Started feeling the D.O.Ms pretty much a few hours after I got home, and I'm not even at the 24hr mark yet! Theoretically the pain should peek at a maximum of 72 hours after the exercise. But remember you don't always have to be sore to grow.

To aid my recovery I slept in my compression tights (much to my other half's liking), this aids with the venous return (the return of blood to the heart) of my legs. This means that all the negative toxins are being forced out of my legs and towards my heart and lungs for exhalation and excretion, another reason why drinking a lot of water helps, it will act a transportation system for toxins and help you to rid them of your body. So just remember that compressing the targeted muscles after a workout will reduce recovery time, making you fresher for the next session.

Today was probably most people favourite set of muscle groups today Chest & Triceps an area a lot of gym monkeys love to train over and over again, until you have some sleeve busting arms and pectorals that only a sports bra could hold. Before my workout I had my pre-workout, today I included some Glutamine and Creatine just to help with my maximal weighted work, being so tall my level system is quite a bit lengthier than most peoples, so I have never been someone to bench 200kg (440lbs). But enough with the bull s**t excuses.

I got the gym after a light cycle from my house, getting a bot of blood to those legs after yesterday is always a good idea. I worked through some light stretching and made sure all my joints we well oiled and ready for war!

Today's session was as follows:

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Dumbbell Flat Bench Press- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Incline Dumbbell Flyes- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Weighted Dips- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Tricep Pushdown- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Bent-over Cable Tricep Extension- 3 Sets x 8-12 Reps
Close Grip Barbell Bench- 4 Sets x 8-12 Reps

Cardio- Interval Training 15mins Total 

So before each new exercise I made sure I went through the motions with a very light weight, not only for mental preparation of the exercise, but also to further warm up the muscles and lubricate the surrounding joints before I went heavy with the movements. I'm no stranger to injuries and have previously found any forms of Incline Dumbbell Bench Press a real problem. So before I go into any exercise now I will always, always, always make sure my body is 100% ready to take on the task at hand, because quite frankly have a debilitating injury isn't really fun at all!

So with a sense of care I smashed out the first couple of sets on Incline Dumbbell Bench Press only failing to hit the top of my rep range on the final set, which I'm pretty happy with! Moving onto Dumbbell Flat Bench Press, I had to put my ego aside slightly as after lifting so heavy on the first exercise, so I went a few kg's under my usual and thank Arnold (he is god here) I did! Working hard I just about managed to hit at least my minimum reps on every set, while doing this exercise I really wanted to put my emphasis on squeezing the chest at the top of the movement, almost using a double contraction to pre fatigue the chest before the final exercise. Incline Dumbbell Fly, I have not always been a massive fan of this exercise, just because I always found it put quite a bot of stress through my shoulders. But! Today it clicked for me, I was experimenting slightly during my warm up sets with alignment of wrists, elbows and shoulder, focusing on trying to find the contraction & squeeze through the muscle on both concentric and eccentric phases and BOOM! It all clicked into place. I found it the easiest I ever have and no longer fear doing them. So it goes to show, even when you think you know what's, what, you actually don't have a clue! The advice I would give people is that you want to try and build up your mind muscle connection as much as possible, creating that psychological pathway to turn the selected muscle on independently has helped me hugely. Even if you just try contracting the muscle in between sets, create a mental trigger, an image, word, sound, what ever it may be, everyone is different and therefore different things will work for different people!

Moving on to Weighted Dips I wanted to incorporate a little bit of chest into this exercise, to do so I flared my elbows out ever so slightly and made sure on my upward phase I focused on pushing the elbows toward each other (think about do a cable pec fly) to try and recruit some of those chest fibres to help my shift a little bit more weight. Then as I regained my breath from the dips (this is tiring work!) I made my way to probably my favourite exercise, the Tricep Pushdown, here I made sure I was squeezing the traps and rhomboids (shoulder blades) together to give myself a stable base to work from, really isolating the triceps I burnt through my 3 sets with gritted teeth, today I made sure I was hitting the heaviest I could possibly go within my rep ranges. From here I set up for my Bent-over Cable Tricep Extensions working with a medium height cable pulley I placed my elbows on a flat bench to isolate the Triceps and stop myself from using and momentum to make it easier, (Remember! This isn't supposed to be easy, this is meant to hurt, you are breaking your body every session to make it stronger, never let this out of your head it will drive you.) using the isolation took a lot more out of me than I thought it would! Getting a solid stretch through the whole Tricep before every rep meant I was utilising all the muscles all the time...making it harder once again. Finishing my weighted work where I started, the bench. Close Grip Barbell Bench was probably the hardest exercise yet, which was fitting, as it was the last. Clenching my teeth and grunting my way through the reps I found out very quickly that my Triceps had taken a bit of a battering and barely got over my minimum rep range with quite frankly not a lot of weight on the bar! Which should make for some interesting viewing when we get round to the Y3T High Volume week! Arnold help me!

After a nice 15 minute bout of Treadmill sprints I had finally finished today's workout, a nice gentle cycle home proved slightly more strenuous as it seemed like gale-force winds pounded against me and almost grounded me where I was. But after marginally longer than expected I found myself at home woofing down the rest of last nights dinner! YUM!!! Now for a shower, lots of water and a bit of stretching.

Tomorrow we tackle Shoulders & Abs, cannot wait for this!

Happy Lifting!


Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment