Friday 1 May 2015

Week 5 Day 5 - Only Human

01/05/15 Day 32 -Arms

First of all apologies for the lack of blogging yesterday, time was a real issues and I simply wasn't able to fit it into my day.

After a pretty rubbish end to my week I took the opportunity to focus my anger and energy on Day 5 of the German Volume Training workout: Arms! It was a really short session in terms of number of exercises, but none the less the sheer volume of work made up for that. So here is what my session looked like:

Barbell Curls – 5 Sets x 10 Reps (60sec Rest)
Ex Bar Curls – 5 Sets x 10 Reps (60 sec Rest)
Close Grip Weighted Dips - 10 Sets x 10 Reps (60 sec Rest)

Cardio – Interval Training 15mins Total

After my motivation taking a bit of a beating with a lack of sleep weighing me down and having to deal with a pretty rough customer at work, it was fair to say my head wasn't really in the game, but none the less I got on with my warm up and hoped the outcome would change. After a few very light warm up sets to get the muscle fibres firing I could immediately feel a difference in myself, I sometimes forget how good the gym is to vent your anger and focus negative energy in a positive action.

I started with a pretty traditional exercise, the Barbell Curls. Working my way up to a reasonable weight through a few lighter sets just allows me to lubricate the joints and get the muscles nice and lose for the working sets. When I found the a weight that was perfect for my working sets I strapped up, drew my focus and attention to the muscles I wanted to contract (the biceps) and began with the first phase. I started strong punching out solid reps for the first three sets, then on the fourth set my muscles began to tighten and the reps began to become a lot harder to squeeze out. The fantastic yet annoying thing about German Volume Training is that due to the low rep nature you naturally want to lift heavy, but then limiting yourself to short rest periods it becomes increasingly hard increasingly fast to actually push the reps out. After 5 hard core set it was time to put the flat bar down and pick up another.

Moving on to the Ez Bar Curls meant that I was looking at working a different head of the bicep, as well as having to deal with the pre fatigue of the previous set. So I decided to lower my weight from what I was using on the flat bar as I moved across, this then allowed me to test my muscles capabilities without the factor of bad form. Remember – if you are going lighter than usual you can always slow the movement down to make it harder, work the eccentric phase for longer to get a sick pump and challenge your muscles like they never been before. With the last few sets becoming a bit of a struggle I took the emphasis away from my eccentrics and just worked on getting the reps out.

With the final round already here it was time for me to move across to the parallel bars. The Close Grip Weighted Dips are all about testing the muscles through the movement of not only your body weight but extra weight to over work the target muscle group. For me, dips are already a bit of a pain, so I took a slightly smaller plate to work with so I could try to get a few sets in without failure. Well needless to say my triceps hated me today and took me a measly 3 sets before I started to fail on reps. At the first sign of failure I dropped the weights belt off and began to work with my body weight alone. With such small rest breaks the muscles do not have time to repair, meaning with every set that goes by the intensity and toughness also increases. After 2 more weightless sets I began to fail again, to finish the sets I worked on some negative reps as a form of mental punishment ( I know I am cruel) and then decided to grab some assistance bands and finish of my gruelling sets with perfect form and range.

On reflection I have really enjoyed this week of German Volume Training and think it has given me some fantastic ideas to base future training around. For such an old school training method it still gives some of the best results, so if you have never tried it or simply want to try something new, join tones of other people and e-mail me at: mgonlinept@gmail.com . Start your future today!

Hope everyone is looking forward to this bank holiday weekend, I know I am!

Happy Lifting,


Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment