Wednesday 22 April 2015

Week 4 Day 3 - No Pain No Gain

22/04/15 Day 24 – Shoulders & Abs

Today I was hitting one of my favourite muscle groups of the week, the Deltoids (shoulders). The Delts are group of muscles that I am really starting to get some nice development out of and it just makes me push even harder when I know that I am getting results.

Being up at 6am for my training I wasn't fully awake going in the gym, so I may have forgotten some of my static contractions and stretching here and there, but I made up for it by destroying my shoulders on the last exercise. So here is today's plan:

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 4 Sets x 8-10 Reps
Seated Lateral Raises – 3 Sets x 8-10 Reps
Incline Bench Front Barbell Raise – 3 Sets x 8-10 Reps
Peck Deck Reverse Fly – 3 Sets x 8-10 Reps
Smith Machine Shoulder Press – 7 Sets x 8-10 Reps
Rollouts – 3 Sets x Failure
Cross Body Crunches – 7 Sets x 8-10 per side

Cardio – Interval Training 15mins Total

Beginning the workout with a series of nice and light mobility exercises as I tried to wake up and get in the zone for what was to be a pretty hardcore and heavy shoulder session. After some progressive heavier sets on my Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press I moved on to my working sets, using my wrist straps to support me I pumped out some sets that I was really happy with, although my form started to slip on my last rep I felt as though I held strong and really pushed through, as a result I actually a PB for my weight. Try not to fully extend the arms at the top of the motion and save your elbows.

After getting what was a pretty nice shoulder pump on I grabbed some lighter dumbbells and went through a few warm up sets for the Seated Lateral Raises, I like to do this just so my muscles know what is coming next, allow the fibres a few sets to get firing properly and then get stuck in. The way I like to think about warming up is, you would never expect an F1 Race car to just pull up on the track and win, you need to warm up the engine, warm up the tires and let the driver get comfortable, exactly the same with training!

The Incline Bench Front Barbell Raise was a tough one, really having to dig deep to push the reps out here, the anterior head (front head) of my deltoids where really struggling to deal with the heavy weight. To get good form out I dropped the weight down slightly and really tried to work on squeezing the muscle as much as I could to pump as much blood into it as possible.

Feeling pretty damn awake by now I was purely focused on ploughing through this workout and up next was an exercise I'm not entirely happy with, its the Peck Deck Reverse Fly, now I am pretty sure its just because my arms are so damn long that I feel its a really uncomfortable machine, but I just don't feel the contraction very much when I do this exercise, so I really tried focusing on engaging the posterior head (back) of my deltoid to help draw back the elbow. So instead of pulling back from the wrist, I focused my attention to pulling back from the upper tricep to help activate the muscle more.

Finishing off my shoulders with some Smith Machine Shoulder Press. My gosh this was hard, I really struggled with this exercise, as the smith machine at my gym moves in 4 directions it makes it very hard to do basic smith machine exercises, so I had to contract my back a lot and try to fixate my shoulders in place, on reflection I might as well have done it with a standard barbell, but none the less I made sure I was contracting during my 30 second rest breaks in the final 7 Sets, just in the attempt to swell up that muscle, manipulate the fascia and try to keep on progressing with my body.

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible”
- Frank Zappa


I want to take this opportunity once again to thank everyone for the kind support, touching word and the incredibly positive response I have got from doing this. I hope it may go on for a very long time.

Bless you all where ever you may be.

Happy Lifting,


Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment